Thursday, January 23, 2014

1 Cor 10:23

1 Cor 10:23
Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial (paraphrase)

This week I started a bible study through proverbs31 ministries (p31.org). We are studying the book "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst. In all honesty, this is perfect timing.

You all know this blog is about my weight loss journey. As much as I want to lose the weight to feel good about myself, to be healthy, the glory of fitting into my skinny jeans (and posting it on Instagram)... I'm realizing that this journey has to be so much more than that to continue to be successful.

So in the 4 chapters I've devoured of this book (pun totally intended), I have just been blown away by how much The Lord has shown me about ME this week.

Let's cast some light into the dark corners for a second. I hope this is as healing as they say it is. 

I dislike the conflict and disorder In my life so much that I try to avoid it at all costs. Sometimes this is subconscious for me and sometimes I'm clapping my hands over my ears and screaming "LA LA LA" to ignore the blindingly obvious problem in front of me. This isn't just a one-facet-of-my-life kind of disease... It has worked it's way through *almost* everything I'm facing.

When I avoid, I eat. Like shameful, hiding in the corner, throw away the fast food bag so my husband doesn't see it, pretend-that-didn't-happen kind of eating. It's obvious from the last 8 years that this isn't working for me. I don't even know how much weight I've actually gained since then- because I was avoiding the scale.

Reading this book, all 4 chapters I've read so far, have just completely ripped off my blinders. I've realized that this isn't just a control over food kinda issue... This is a hiding from God, perfectionistic, walls up, stinking thinking kinda problem.

So there's the problem. It's funny to me how simple simple simple the solution is: ask for help. My job is to ask the Helper, the Healer, my Hope, my Father to replace my fearshamedoubt cravings with cravings of Him.

Cravings have become a prayer trigger for me... A trigger that I need to ask for guidance. In "Made to Crave", Lysa shares on page 29 "God never intended for us to want anything more than we want Him." I mean, wow. How simple and profound is that?


I've been repeating 1 Cor 10:23 to myself. Of course it's permissible to eat whatever I want. When I'm in the kitchen making myself a meal, I'm asking myself: is this beneficial? Is this food going to fuel me to complete my purpose- my God given assignments here on earth? Chances are when I frame my decisions with fueling the Father's will and my work for the Kingdom... I'm going to eat something green instead of something white and refined. Because when I'm really honest with myself, that's what He created for me to eat. God didn't send down Doritos from heaven. He didn't plant Oreo trees either.

I need lots of prayer in this journey. I'd love to pray for some of my brothers and sisters going through this journey too... Share in the comments how I can pray for you and know that you'll have me warring for you as much as I'm warring for myself.

Blessings.

Jaci

3 comments:

  1. Oh sweet, Jaci!!! I LOVE how you're seeing that this is SO much more than fitting into smaller clothes and making sure other people notice how good you look. It's SUCH a spiritual journey in which we find COMPLETENESS in surrender to Him. May the Lord continue to bless you and keep you!!!

    Christa Fowler (OBS Small Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you sweet Jaci! I am so glad that you realized all you have to do is ask our Heavenly Father for help. And using our cravings as triggers to pray is so awesome! I want to be so consumed & full of Him that I can't stop thinking about Him at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jaci... What a beautiful blog. You write so sweetly.

    I loved it when you said, when I ask myself..."Is this food going to fuel me to complete my purpose- my God given assignments here on earth? Chances are when I frame my decisions with fueling the Father's will and my work for the Kingdom... I'm going to eat something green instead of something white and refined. Because when I'm really honest with myself, that's what He created for me to eat. God didn't send down Doritos from heaven. He didn't plant Oreo trees either."

    Praying, Jaci, that God continues to pursue you with compassion and speak into your heart with gentle prompting. You, leaning into Him, making the decision to #CraveGod in your moments of decision is such an empowering and intentional choice that we all need to make.

    God is clear in scripture when he says he will show you a way out so that you can endure temptations. It is such a powerful verse to live by.

    I thank you for sharing your journey! I look forward for continuing to follow you and I will pray for you at every turn.

    Hugs!
    Liz (P31 OBS Small Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete