Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Clean Eating

I've spent the last month really trying to figure out what I want this blog to be. Then I realized that it was the perfectionist in me that was keeping me from actually writing posts. Boom, truth bomb. Perspective shift: instead of planning and planning and planning, action is more productive. Just do it, then figure out if it works.

I've decided to share some of my clean eating recipes, but first I need to define & share my definition of clean eating with you.

Clean Eating is such a buzzword these days. I've found myself thinking "but what does that even mean?!" when someone refers to clean eating so here is how I define clean eating for me.

*avoiding processed foods
*eating more vegetables than fruit*avoiding refined sugar and instead opting for local honey on occasion
*eating lots of meat, locally sourced, grassfed, pastured, organic if possible
*avoiding dairy and wheat products, creamy sauces, and alcohol

*I don't count calories- I eat to satisfy my hunger. I wholly believe in QUALITY over QUANTITY. I'm happy to listen to my body and figure out what I need from there. And sometimes that means a protein-packed snack at 11pm before bed. I break all the rules.

Now before you cheese lovers completely pass out, let me explain. I strive to do this at least 80% of the time. For me its about balance, its about choosing life-giving foods, and feeding my brain, gut, muscles, etc what they need to function at their highest performance level.
I went the "diety" route for the last 7 years and I'M STILL OBESE. Choosing whole foods is a lifetime decision I've made and I'm very very happy with how I feel. And I'm happy to say that after 2 months of making these choices, doritos and dr pepper taste disgusing, and make me feel pretty disgusting.

How do YOU define clean eating?

4 comments:

  1. For me, clean eating is avoiding processed foods. I'd say we do that about 90% of the time. I'm fine with having a couple "cheat" meals a week. If I don't do that, I'll go crazy, since I crave fast food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, I have a hard time eating clean. It's something I need to get involved with. I feel like I have no time, but Staci Anna Luker has proved me wrong. Hopefully, I am on the way to success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fitness goal is to complete the Advocare 24 min per day workout schedule!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I avoid trans fats as part of my effort!

    ReplyDelete