Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Recipe: Hearty Ham & Bean Soup



20131105-140511.jpg

I made this soup a couple weeks ago... Then I was rummaging through the fridge for breakfast leftovers the day before grocery day and there was pretty much nothing to eat! So I got creative by adding an egg on top of the leftover soup and it was amazing. If you know me in real life (if not, you'll learn) that my sole FOODlosophy is "put a sunny side up egg on top. That'll taste good."

Here is my recipe! Soup is easy because it requires little to no measurements.

6c (roughly) homemade chicken stock
Ham steak or leftover ham bone, ham hocks
Chopped veggies (my fav is garlic, green beans, squash, yellow onion, carrots)
2 cans of great northern beans, rinsed well
Spices: paprika, pepper, garlic powder

In a soup pot, drizzle a little olive or coconut oil and sauté chopped veggies until tender, add ham pieces and cook until warm. Add 6 cups chicken stock and 2 cans of great northern beans. Add spices to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring every minute or two (so the bottom doesn't burn). Then set the heat on low and let it simmer until it's as thick as you like it or you're ready to eat. If you want a thicker soup add less chicken stock.

It's really hard to mess up, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment