Saturday, November 23, 2013

Winter

I went for a run in 34 degrees today. I do have to say it might have been one of my most empowering runs yet. I woke up really not wanting to go... but knowing that consistency over time breeds results along with a predicting massive winter storm coming, I better get my tush out of bed and go run. The first 5 minutes was NOT FUN, but once my body warmed up I started getting the momentum to keep going. While I was running, certain scriptural themes kept popping into my head: seasons, pruning dead branches, harvest. Just like when winter comes everything dies back- there is no new growth without winter. And oh man, is winter dark and cold and uncomfortable. Winter is when we fight colds, wake up with frozen toes because our feet poked out under the covers while we slept, when being outside is just not too much fun past the 10 minute mark... but when spring comes, we welcome it with open arms and ready hearts. The birds sing, your tulips start poking through the dirt, and the fruit begins to grow.
This is the season I'm in... new growth, tiny blooms, birds singing. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the winter most of 2013 was... my mom's cancer, long distance marriage, grasping at whatever faith I had to hang on, complicated pregnancy, many weeks of bed rest with a toddler, lots of "no"s in our business... I was in tears most days before Noah was born. But the day of his birth, everything shifted. I was born again too. My eyes were opened to my lack of obedience to God. I started digging into my bible again, praying and worshiping again, asking the Holy Spirit "show me", dreaming for my family, speaking my visions of the future, opening my mouth and letting blessings come out not curses, and I began to push myself physically. When you see a little bit of growth, be encouraged. Stay the course. Continue to fight. Soon, you'll have an entire field ready and a reward larger than you ever could have imagined. Prepare your storehouses. Harvest is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment